Dixie Diehards is a baseball league for people with disabilities. It is an extension of West Monroe Dixie Youth Baseball.
The Dixie Diehards play on a special field built by the West Monroe Kiwanis to accommodate people with disabilities and is located at the Biendenharn Sports Complex.
In this league the game is played entirely for fun and…”Everyone is a Winner”.
Community volunteers serve as Buddies to assist each player and assure enjoyment and safety while playing the game of baseball.
Are you, your church, organization, or place of business looking for a spring volunteer opportunity? Be a Baseball Buddy!
Players on our team are people with disabilities. As a buddy you will be in the field, the batter’s box, and the dugout assisting a player to experience baseball in it’s purist form – baseball for the fun of it. The more buddies we have, the more fun we have!!!
Due to safety concerns, we ask that Buddies be 12 years of age or older.
If you or your group decide you want to be a Baseball Buddy, you will receive many hugs, much thanks and most of all, the feeling of knowing you have made a difference in the lives of people with disabilities.
You need not be athletic, just have a big heart!
Other ways to help Dixie Diehards
• Identify new players
• Scholarships for players – $60.00
• Advertise your business:
Buy a sign for the fence – $200.00
• Sponsor a team – $450.00
• Support end-of-season celebration
and awards – $750.00
• Donations for improvements to the field (P.A. system, flag pole and flag, bleachers behind home plate, electronic marquee)
The Dixie Diehards are divided into three leagues:
• 5 – 12 Year Old League
• The American League is for ages 13 and over with beginner to intermediate skills
• The National League is for ages 13 and over with intermediate to higher skills
• We now have a “Beep Ball” for our players who are visually impaired. (The “Beep Ball” emits a beeping sound that aids the player in locating the ball.)